Who we are
The Nar Valley Ornithological Society (NarVOS) was formed in 1976 with the objective of bringing together all those interested in bird watching in Norfolk in an area covering the River Nar Valley from King’s Lynn to Dereham and including Downham Market, Watton, Swaffham and Fakenham.
Our aims are:
- Encourage and share enjoyment of birdwatching with others in the NarVOS area
- Encourage novice birdwatchers to take an active interest in birdwatching
- Share information with the members
- Gather and collate data on birds in the area
- Participate in regional and national bird surveys within the defined area
- Liaise with other conservation groups within the area, and more widely
- To administer the Society in an environmentally sensitive manner
- To promote a deeper understanding of wildlife in general.
To meet these aims we:
- Organise an extensive programme of indoor and field meetings
- Take part in a number of national and regional surveys
- Produce a newsletter and bird sightings report each month
- Publish The NarVOS Annual Report containing a systematic list of birds recorded in the area, a ringing report, reports or sightings of rare birds, a detailed summary of the weather during the year and a selection of related articles.